Tuesday, August 19, 2008

PM NDP Rally - My Priorities

Last evening I listened to the PM National Day rally on Television (for the very 1st time… : P ).
I was totally engrossed with his speech and felt very much on all the issues. There was one particular topic that gave me very deep impression.

Extract from PM Lee National day rally:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/369408/1/.html

“A successful lawyer, Mrs Lee Kuan Yew chose to put her children first, took on fewer cases, avoided evening work functions and ate lunch at home every day with her children.


He said having children is a personal choice, and parents have to decide their own priorities.”

Which parents does not put their child/children as TOP Priority and which parents does not want to have lunches/ dinners with their children? REALITY BITES!!!

While PM Lee was talking about this topic, I tear a little, felt a bit emotional. Why?

I was a latchkey kid, not that my parents do not want to spend time with me, but coming from a Low income family, they were working hard for the monies to support 4 children. I am grateful to my parents for bringing me up to be what I am. However sometimes I wonder if my mom was home with us, would that had made a difference in my life. I don’t have the answer to that.

Having been through the experienced, I know the importance of being THERE for my own children when they are growing up. I want to be there to share and learn with them while they grow. I want them to feel LOVE and being LOVED by us. It is not easy but I am trying my very best.

It is for this simple reason/belief that make me decided to become a PSAHM… : )

I LOVE my FAMILY and they will always be my TOP Priorities !!!

7 comments:

Mommy Lose Weight said...

when I was young, my mum was at home everyday with us BUT she was busy playing mahjong :(

thus I also feel that I want to witness my kids' growing up bcuz I felt that I lack of something ... like family love (my dad is alws busy with entertainment & work) hehe.

so have you found a partime job?

ShanZen - Brightsong said...

Yes, I can also understand the feeling too.

For me, although mum was at home with me and my brothers, she didn't excatly know how to communicate with us, so it felt like just someone at home to accompany us, provide us meals. So to be frank, I didn't quite appreciate my time at home then.

However, I still hope I could be there for my kids' needs (even if just fetching them to/fro school/childcare, warming tingkat dinner, bedtime, weekend outing/laze around), AND to be able to commmunicate with them. That, I think, is more important than just the physical part. :)

Aces Family said...

Hi Ling,

Yes, i have a colleague who said her mom also play MJ everyday... : P

It's quite hard to balance work-family life, so sometime we need to make opportunity cost as what the PM mentioned.

I am still looking for the PT job.: P

rgds,
astee

Aces Family said...

Hi Brightsong,

I totally agreed with you on the Communication part, which seem to be lacking during our times.

Simple task like those you mentioned already provide me with great satisfaction.

Most important thing - my children know that i am always there for them. Physical or moral support.. : ) And they don't come back to a house, but a home.

rgds,
astee

LZmommy said...

I agree with you :) That's why I decided to be a SAHM :)

Anonymous said...

same as you, that's why, I tried to be home when my kids are back from school.

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy & Charmaine,

Wow..seem like i am not the only latchkey kid.. : )

Seeing how you mommies put so much effort on your children really put me to 1st gear..haha.

Thank you so much,

astee