Thursday, October 16, 2008

“Alarming Discovery”

Under the NTUC Childcare curriculum for K2 children, there is a unit called “Getting Ready for Primary School” and this is aimed at preparing the children for the move to Primary School next year.

This week on Tuesday, 14 October, the childcare arranged to bring the K2 children to TGPS. I was very happy as this is the Primary School that Anthea will be going to in 2009. This will be a good familiarization trip for her. The official orientation falls on 17 November 2008.

The visit involves a tour of the Primary School, meeting relevant people in school and spending time in school. The children also had the chance to buy food from the Tuck-shop as the visit was near to recess time. Each child had a $1 with them to buy food.

On our way home, I asked Anthea about the school visit, she said it was very fun and she had a great time. I know she will like her new “home” for next 6 years.

I asked her: “what did you buy at recess time?” She said “a sandwich and a packet of drink.”

“How much was the sandwich and drink” I asked. Her answer “sandwich is 50 cents and drink is 50 cents.”

“Ok, so this means you used up the $1.” I told her and she said yes.

The next day when I ironed her uniform, I realized that she had 20cents in her pocket. In the evening after dinner, I asked her about the 20cents.

Then she started to think how much was the sandwich and drink. Further questioning lead me to realize that she still does not understand the concept of monies.

I am worried and told Adrian about my concern. Last evening, he spent almost 1.5 hours teaching her about monies.

All these while, she had been doing Math so I would think that she can adapt the monies concept quite easily but I think I was over confidence with her. Luckily she will be starting her English & Math tuition in December 2008.

Some would call me “kiasu” of starting Anthea so early on tuition classes but I know she needed some motivation.

At home, she is playing too many games and watching too much TV. I have to blame myself for these because I really have no time to guide her through her studies. Also I don’t think I can guide her with the correct method. I worried I may end up confusing her further.

A friend who was an ex-teacher also commented that Primary 2 lessons are getting tough, her daughter is in Primary 2 now.

I hope by starting her early, she will be able to adjust to the new learning environment and speed.

6 comments:

Angie said...

maybe you can start by letting her buy things on her own when you are with her? eg, pay the cashier at the supermkt, pay macD etc... i cant recall when i started to know the concept of money when I was young...but i rem putting a coin under a pc of paper n color the paper, then we cut out the paper (which has the coin pattern) and started to pretend to buy things. did you play this kind of game when you were young? quite fun, right?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

A note about starting a child on tution too early, especially before their entry to Primary level.

The child may become too dependent on the tution teacher instead of learning to pay more attention in class. Kids in the first 3 years of Primary School do not need to be put on tution unless they really can't cope. NTUC Childcare is a good centre to have prepare your child well to cope with Primary 1 academic curriculum. All you need to do is to make sure your child understand her studies and do her homework accordingly (if any). Give your girl a chance....

Teaching your child to pay attention to teachers in class and learn on their own are very important. It will work all the way towards their adulthood.

Teachers feedback that they overheard kids telling their classmates openly that if they don't understand their work, they can always ask their tution teachers. No need to ask the class teachers. Do you think it's a good idea ?

My sister is a primary school teacher. She and her colleagues encountered such sitauations various time. It's not just one child but a number of them. A survey they did in school realised that these kids start their tution class as early as N2. You are not the kiasu one. :)

Sorry for been so kay-po. I'm not trying to talk you out of giving your child tution. Just a thought .... Hope you don't mind.

Happy mothering to a coming P1 child. It'll be another level of new experiences. Enjoy !

therens said...

hi Astee

I hd similar experience wif Nic. At P1, make her simple sandwiches n bring her own water bottle to schl. At P2, money is a exam topic for maths. Then, they know what it means to give $1 and expect change back.By then, they really start to get 'very calculative' (in the good sense of this word).

N

LZmommy said...

Hi Astee
You are not kiasu at all! :) We started teaching L the concept of money before entering P1 and she still makes mistakes. Being able to buy thing is very new and interesting to them. So when my girl enters P1, she forgot what we taught her. After some time, she will knows :)

That's why for Z, I just got him a wallet and allows him to learn to buy things on his own (of coz he will ask). It may a drink only or a waffle.

I thought you only sign Anthea up for Maths and Chinese only right? I have also decided to switch L to Maths instead of English coz nowadays the way they do problem sums very different from our time, hence the switch. I think it is fine so long Anthea enjoys the classes.

This is only my personal opinion :) I would have continue writing more but then I don't want to flood your comment box. Hehehe...

A Husband's Voice said...

Wow!! How things have changed since I was a student?!?! They even have orientation for Primary 1 now?!!?

On the other hand it is also nice to know that some things never change, i.e. the food and drink are just as cheap in the Primary School Tuck-shop.

Aces Family said...

hi Angie,

I try to let her pay $ as often when we do marketing..i think must train her more to get familiar.

Hi N,

Indeed, good to be calculative..hee : P

Hi LZmommy,

Currently Anthea is doing MPM and Tien Hsia. I am stopping MPM and let her start the tuition class on English/Math.

Just hope she get motivated than only spending time on TV/games.

Hi AHV,

Yes, i am not sure abt other childcare but NTUC has this unit in their curriculum.

Food price is reasonable but not sure if portion is sufficient..hee : P

Hi Ano,

Thanks for your kind words and i will definitely bear in mind. I will monitor on how she progress with her classes.

regards,
astee