Monday, November 17, 2008

Anthea Orientation Day

It is the day that I have been looking forward to. Yes, it's her Orientation day. As usual, we woke up and had breakfast at home, and then we brought Anders to Childcare before attending the orientation.

Anthea and I reached TGPS around 8.45am and we went to the hall for the orientation. Anthea was seated with her new classmates in the hall while the parents were seated on the other side. Looking at her expression, I knew she was a bit nervous but I kept signaling to her “she will be ok” and she gave me a smile on it.

The Vice Principal started the orientation around 9.10am. He went through a quick introduction of the School Motto “Aspire and Achieve” and also the school values:

T – Team spirit
G – Graciousness
P – Perseverance
S – Self –Discipline

I was quite impressed with his simple speech. Guess what, he was being transferred from Anderson Primary School just 3 months ago. He was very confident in telling parents whose child was rejected by APS that there is no “lost” as TGPS is doing as well as APS...wow...what a surprised it was to me... : P

After the VP opening address, the children were brought to their respective classroom by their form teacher. Anthea class teacher is Miss Anna Koh. She is a very pleasant young lady. I had a quick chat with her about school books and she said that she will be keeping most of the exercise books in school, so the school bag would not be too heavy to carry. I was glad to hear this from her.

Parents were further briefed through the P1 SEED Programme, Dental Care, the Parents Handbook and finally the Parents Volunteer Group.

Then we were lead to one of the classroom to complete some forms. Upon completion, I went to Anthea’s classroom to pick up her. I brought her to the School Bag vendor and asked if she would like to have one of the school own designed school bag or she preferred others. She said she is fine with the school bag, so we bought one BLUE tag bag for her.

I was happy with the purchase as experienced mommies had advice me on buying the Ergo Bag, so I was following their guideline. Thanks Mommies!!

We walked around after buying the school bag. Anthea requested to have a sandwich as the canteen was still open. On our way out of the school, some PVs approached me and asked if I would like to sign up as a PV. I told them: “Yes, of course.”

I hope that I can learn as much as my children while being a PV to the school. I want to partake in their school life as and when my time permits.

As we were leaving the school, Anthea said to me: “ Mommy, I like my new school very much. “

I am really glad that she likes her new school and new teacher. I wish her Primary School road ahead will be as ASPIRING as her class name denote.

11 comments:

Angie said...

好的开始是成功的一半!

Louis & Eve said...

It didn't seem long ago when she was born or that we were having so much fun with her in her toddlerhood.

Now, Anthea's going to be in primary school in a matter of weeks!

I guess you & Adrian must be having a mix bag of feelings on her growing up.

Hope she would enjoy herself just as much as she did her orientation when school starts :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Astee,

Thanks for the info in looking for flexi hr job. Good on ya for PV. I hv started doing PV work to prepare for my child's phase 2B registration & found it to be beneficial. I enjoy myself whenever am helping out in the school. Allthe best : )

ShanZen - Brightsong said...

wow, so cool to have special school bag!

How I wish Ee Zen's school has one too, then I won't need to get that ergo-unfriendly Ben10 bag (which may not last few months with heavy books). :p

Anyway, I got a special-priced version and told my boy if the bag breaks, we need to get one that has no Ben10 print!

Aces Family said...

hi Angie,

希望接下来会更好。谢谢

Hi Eve,

Adrian said the same about Anthea growing so fast and he's hoping she will slow down a little...haha.Yeah, hopefully she will enjoy her school days ahead.

Hi Priscilla,

Yes, many schools have the PVs programe. Glad that you had benefitted from your child school,especially for Phase 2B registration.

Btw, do you have a blog to share?

Hey Brightsong,

You can change to the Ergo bag when the Ben 10 bag wears out..haha. Now some of the ergo bag are quite nice and with cartoon characters too.. : )

cheers,
astee

therens said...

Hi Astee

TGPS seems very well-organised from your description and I'm sure, it being an established school, will hv a whole range of activities to involve their students. Anthea must be looking forward to her next phase. Will you be going to 'spy' on her for the first day of school? I did...to take photos.*grin*

Nel

therens said...

Hi Astee

TGPS seems very well-organised from your description and I'm sure, it being an established school, will hv a whole range of activities to involve their students. Anthea must be looking forward to her next phase. Will you be going to 'spy' on her for the first day of school? I did...to take photos.*grin*

Nel

Aces Family said...

hi Nel,

TGPS officially allowed parents to "overstay' for the 1st and 2nd days, they even allow us to be at the canteen during recess on the 2 days. So no need to spy...hee : P

cheers,
astee

therens said...

Hi Astee,

Really? FVPS was kinda strict about parents hanging around on the 1st day. We were only allowed to come 'visit' (aka 'spy') during recess break on 1st day and no more after tht. It seems thy didn't want to 'nurture' over-protective parents. *double wink* In your case, bring along the videocam then!

Nel.

Anonymous said...

Hi Astee,

Unfortunately i don't have a blog. Have been wanting to create one but no time & energy. I work full time, usually can only be hm at almost 9pm. Thats why have been looking out for job that allows me to hv more time.

Regards,
Priscilla

Aces Family said...

hi Priscilla,

It's not easy especially for a Full Time working mother.

All the best to you job lookout. It's always the mommies who sacrifice for their children but i guess it's the maternal instinct we have for our children.

astee