Wednesday, January 07, 2009

孩子与天下

After a month of break, Anthea started her Primary 1 enrichment class with 天下 this evening. I was considering the afternoon class for her but I was worried that it may disrupt her afternoon nap, so I thought we can try the evening class for the 1st term and see how she would adjust.

At the same time I also signed Anders for the K1 Trial class as an OCBC Baby Bonus Card holder. I wanted to see if he is fine with Chinese class. At home, whenever I speak Mandarin to him, he will ask me “mommy, why you speak Chinese to me? I don’t want to speak Chinese.” I was concerned as I know he has very limited exposure to the language. In childcare centre, he has English and Chinese lessons but I wanted to expose him to a different class environment to learn the language.

So this evening is Anders 1st Chinese enrichment class and to our sweetest surprise, his class teacher is none other than 琳麟 老师。She has taught Anthea before and I know Anders will surely enjoy her lesson.

Both their class started at the same time and since it was Anders 1st time to the enrichment class, I thought that he may need me to stay with him in the class. I was wrong about him…hee : ) He actually kissed me goodbye and said “see you later.” He was not frightened at all. I was really happy to see him able to settle so well in the class. I dare not take it for granted and waited outside the classroom, just in case… : P

Anders class was 1.5 hours and Anthea class was 2 hours. At the end of the trial lesson, I asked Anders if he enjoyed the lesson and his answer was positive. Immediately I signed him up for the 1st term lessons. Anthea also came out of the class saying that it was very fun and she enjoyed it.

I am really glad that both of them are enjoying the lessons as this will help to build up their INTEREST & LOVE toward the language.

希望孩子们对华文的热诚与知识会随着学习中逐渐增加。。就如天下父母对于孩子们的爱一
样。。

3 comments:

Angie said...

我觉得你愿意栽培孩子学习双语是非常明智的!有些家长一面倒地只要孩子把英文搞好,觉得中文不重要。我们姑且不论中文的市场价值(我痛恨用经济来衡量一个语言的重要性,虽然这是无可避免的),身为一个华人,不能不掌握好自己的母语啊!

blurblur said...

Good that both kids enjoy their Chinese enrichment class. :) I'm looking for a Chinese centre for Damien too!

Louis & Eve said...

Its great that all the cousins are taking Mandarin classes in one form or another.

Looking forward to the stay when Faith would be able to converse with her favourite Jie-jie and Kor-kor in Mandarin :)