Friday, July 04, 2008

"STOCK MARKET"

The Primary School registration has started on 30 June 2008. There are phases to the Primary School exercise. I am monitoring the registration stage as if I am looking at the “stock market”… : P

I guess Parents who had been through this phase will understand what I meant. At each phase, the Ministry of Education will update their website and indicate the available vacancies available for the next phase.

This is an update chart from the website.

School Vacancies for Phase 2A1 (Updated as of 03 July 2008)

Ang Mo Kio

School

Total No. of Vacancies /Places Taken Up at Phase 1/Vacancies for Phase 2A1/No. of Children Registered

Anderson Primary - 270 81 189 0
Ang Mo Kio Primary -240 82 158 2
CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’ - 210 77 133 46
Da Qiao Primary - 210 45 165 1
Jing Shan Primary - 240 60 180 0
Mayflower Primary - 240 76 164 1
Teck Ghee Primary - 210 58 152 0
Townsville Primary - 270 91 179 0

We are in Phase 2C for the registration and the dates will be 29 – 31 July, so meanwhile I can only wait patiently and look at the chart after each phase to make a decision.

Actually Adrian and I are quite settled with our choice of selection, so there is not much stress on our part yet. Also it’s a normal primary school, so likely we will not go thru any balloting. I am just toying with the idea of sending her to a “branded” school because of Foster Parents eligibility. Anyway, looking at the chart, I think the chance of registering her in this school is getting lower and lower… : P

So far, our attitude towards the children primary school registration has been quite relaxed. We had not thought of enrolling Anthea or Anders into any “branded” school. I guess this is because neither of us is from such schools, so we would not want to Stress ourselves with all the NEEDS TO DO things to get into a branded school.

I was introduced to this website - http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/

After reading some of the articles, I am not surprised at what some parents does just to get their child into an elite school. I know every parent want the best for their child, especially in our society where paper qualifications are so important.

Good Lucks to all the parents (include us) who are registering their children for Primary 1 in 2009.




Happy Independence Day !!

6 comments:

Joyce Long said...

Great to read that you are not stressed on this matter. IMO, sending kids to elite/branded school doesn't mean it is good for the child. Just make sure the kids mix with the right company of kids. In fact, sending them to normal school is also good provided the envirnoment/culture is good.

Wish you all the good luck..

Mommy Lose Weight said...

good luck to ur choice of school :)

Angie said...

all the best!!! my turn will come in errr.. 4 years' time!

Aces Family said...

Hi Joyce,

Indeed, we just wished our children will enjoy their primary educations and if they do excel well, we will be proud of them.

Hi ling,

Thank YOU!!

Hi Angie,

Let me tell u hor...4 Yrs will flashed by very FAST..hee : P

cheers,
astee

LZmommy said...

Great to heat that you wouldn't be as stress as I was :)

Unfortunately for me then, the nearest school to my house was a branded school. I wanted my girl to go there more for convenience. Anyway, I'm glad that she is enjoying in this school :)

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

Yeah,same thought as you, nearest school for convenience..hee : )

Looking at L, can tell she's doing great in her school.

cheers,
astee