Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our NEW Tingkat Dinner

“回吃饭真快”!!

This week, we are on a 10 days trial with our new tingkat dinner delivery company – Jiale Buffet Services (家乐晚 餐 递 送 服 务).

Before deciding on Jiale, I have been following very closely with Stardust on her feedbacks of the few different potential caterers that we may use. The latest update on both Kim's kitchen and Neo Garden seem to be of negative effect on our decision making.

At the same time, I did some “homework” online and based on this website – Singapore Catering Directory recommendation, I decided to try JIALE.

I called and made a reservation for Trial dinner and the CSO – (her name is Adeline) who answered my call was quite professional. I told her I am ordering a 2 person dinner and only required rice for 1 person. Her replied was they only catered for 2 person rice and would not be able to provide for 1 person. I explained to her my situation and she LISTENED. When she understood my situation, then she agreed to arrange for 1 person rice. I was delighted with her service.

On Monday, the dinner arrived in a 4 tiers Tiffin. Actually it is easier for me with this kind of containers as I will usually heat up the food in my 2 tiers steamer. Previously with Buffet Paradiz, I will need to transfer the food from the microwaveable plastic containers onto those stainless steel plates and put them into the steamer. With the new Tiffin, all I need to do is to put them in the steamer. Only the rice needs to be transfer. Adrian mentioned that this change of caterer seem to be for the better and make life easier for me.. ha ha.. : )




(Also i felt less guilty now since i am not throwing aways containers everyday.. : P)

Our verdict on the food :

- Food taste is good and the children finished their food. (My top priority is always THEM!!)

- Rice portion is sufficient (actually seem to be more than the previous caterer)

- Only thing is soup portion is lesser compared to previous (important thing is children have enough soup, for adults, we are ok without it.)

- The situation awareness was tested. On 2nd day of the dinner, the deliveryman called me and told me that he accidentally dropped our RICE and kept apologizing to me, he sounded so apologetic and was so concerned when he said: “今晚你没有饭吃.” Anyway for us, it's very easier to buy cooked rice from the many coffee shops in our neighbourhood. So I wasn't too worried about it. The rest of the dinner was intact.

Overall we are happy and satisfied with the new caterer service and the food. They are on par with our previous caterer, so all my constant worries on this issue are now settled. We also managed to save a few dollars with the new caterer... : P

Adrian and myself are quite simple and easily contended when it comes to food. We are not fussy with whatever is on the menu as long as they serve our top priority – both Anthea and Anders happily 吃饭.

孩子们快乐,我们就快乐,大都快!!

19 comments:

LZmommy said...

Great to hear you found a new catering :)

Maybe next yr I may need to order too when #3 comes out. :)

stardust said...

Thanks maybe I will try out Jiale in Sep

Do keep me update if there are new feedback

By the way, I am curious, how does ordering 1 pax rice work for your family?

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

Hmm..judging by your bentos, i think Tingkat dinners are way below your standard...haha. Anyway, if really NEED to, then can try.

Hi Stardust,

Fyi, previously wz BP we ordered 2 pkt of rice and always ended throwing away almost 3/4 of the rice. Reason being hubby and i don't eat much rice, watching our weights..haha.

Usually 1 packet of rice from BP enough for the 2chd and 1 adt, i will cook some porridge..prefer light meal.. : P

Next 2 mths, adrian will be oversea for work,so 1 pkt of rice is definitely enough for 3 of us.

cheers,
astee

Anonymous said...

Good to know that you found good dinner caterer. I don't have a good impression of Neo Garden Food though when we were on trial during my early pregnancy.

Idy said...

I still prefer microwavable disaposable container to the tiffin carrier. When I used tiffin carrier previously, I kept thinking had the previous owner washed it cleanly. I also kept scrutinising the carrier to see if it is rusty. I am too paranoid.

Aces Family said...

Hi Jean,

Yeah, heard too many negative reviews on Neo Garden for their Dinner Delivery, so not keen to try them.

Hey Idy,

I had the same thinking as you too..hee : P

I guess with things changing and cost going up & up..had to learn to adapt to all these.

cheers,
astee

Shiny Stars said...

I agree with you Astee, our happiness derived from seeing our kids enjoying their food and finished it all up!!!

May this new caterer brings more interesting and healthy food to your family!

Cheers

Aces Family said...

Hi Vivien,

I guess this apply to all parents.

Thanks for your well wishes.

cheers,
astee

matreshka said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your post while researching for a caterer. My contract with Buffet Paradize is ending this week, and like you, I just couldn't justify the 100% increase in food expense. Am looking for a new caterer now and considering Jiale as what you've recommended. However, they don't do 3 days a week which is what I require.

Have you heard for Empire Food? Wonder if they're any good. I haven't been able to find any feedback on them online.

Thanks!

Aces Family said...

Hi Matreshka,

Indeed not many dinner caterer does 3 meals a week and i BP is quite good in this aspect.

Yes, i had heard of Empire and was considering trying it if Jiale does not work out..but luckily it went well. Heard that Empire does not do TRAIL dinner..: )

Good Luck.

rgds,
astee

matreshka said...

Hi Astee

Thanks for your reply! I am starting with a trial with Jiale next week based on your good review. I have also enquired, and it is possible to work out a 3-day week arrangement with them. But this means that I will not be allowed to cancel any meals (will have to confirm that again).

Empire also has a trial period, with an additional $5 surcharge. We might give that a go after we return from our overseas trip. The good thing about Empire is that we can still postpone the meals, so we can rollover as long as we fulfill 20 dinners.

Thanks again!

Aces Family said...

Hi Matreshka,

You are most welcome and glad that you have options to work on. OF course, always good to do the trial 1st, then you will know which caterers can meet yr family taste.

Have a good trip and hope to see you blog about it..hee : )

cheers,
astee

matreshka said...

Hi Astee

My first trial dinner came yesterday! At first my impression was that the portions were small, but my husband didn't think so and said that it's because the containers were deeper than Buffet Paradize's plastic containers.

The food was not too bad. I don't really eat brinjal but I actually ate quite a lot yesterday.

The only thing was... when I opened up the tingkat when I first got it, I spotted a... tiny (dead) baby cockroach stuck in between the layers of the container. I think it was on its way in during the packing, when it got crushed by the upper container. Yikes.

I do not know if there were more. :S So I sent Jiale an email last night with my feedback, asking them to check their kitchen. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it since it's the first meal. They've replied this morning and said "Noted. Sorry." Hopefully this spells the end of any extra 'ingredients'! heheh :)

Aces Family said...

Hi Matreshka,

Opps..sorry to hear of the "extra" : P

Btw, i didn't have Brinjal leh..did u order the 4 dishes? Actually i had the same impression - SMALL but the food portion was sufficient and the rice is even more generous than BP.. : )

Yes, generally their food are pretty tasty, i actually like it more than BP..personal preference lah.. : )

Good that you feedback to them, so their kitchen will be more alert.

Btw, there is a discussion on tingkat dinner on SMH, so feel free to check this website for more reviews.

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/cgi-bin/forumboard/show.cgi?353635/874188

regards,
astee

matreshka said...

Hi Astee

I ordered 3 dishes + 1 soup. I'm surprised that they distribute different dishes? Maybe they ran out of ingredients or something :)

Thanks for the tipoff on the website. Will go check it out!

victor said...

hi ace im also in the same situation as you. I only need rice of 1 portion but the staff told me the same thing. how did u manage to make it work out?

Aces Family said...

Hi Wee,

Well, during my time, Jia Le managed to accommodate my request, so not sure if they are still able to do so now.. : )

Fyi, Jia Le stopped delivery to my area since last month, so i am now with a new caterer. I am cooking my own rice now.

regards,
astee

Nick NG said...

Hi Astee,

so is your new caterer Empire?

regards,
Nick

Aces Family said...

Hi Nick,

I am using Kim's Kitchen.

Cheers,
Astee