Friday, May 16, 2008

No more Spoon Feeding

It has been a busy week at work as our department is scheduled to do our email migration from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Outlook this week. There are a lot of things to re-learn again. My ex-company used Outlook and since I joined my present company, I lost touch with it for almost 4 years and now it’s back to Outlook again. What a reunion… hee: )

Since this week at home, I have also started on a new routine. Previously I would fetch the children home – heat up the tingkat dinner – feed Anders his dinner. Anthea will eat her own dinner. While eating their dinner, they will watch some program on Disney channel. Sometimes, I can feel quite frustrated as Anders will lose concentration on his meals. Sometimes, both of them will quarrel over what show they want to see.

Adrian was home once when he witnessed this verbal exchange among the children. In his anger, he told them to switch off the TV and focused on eating their dinners. When they were finished with the meals, then they can watch the TV program.

I think this made me re-think about spoon feeding Anders. I believe he should be able to eat his own meals, just like in school. The reason for feeding him is because I wanted him to finish his meals fast, so I can do the rest of my chores faster. I guess my approached to this is wrong.

Starting this week, I changed the routine. After fetching the children – heating up dinner – preparing the food for them to eat – then I will wash their clothing.

So far, both Anthea and Anders had been very co-operative. They will sit at the dinner table and eat their dinner while I washed their clothes. Anders has not been asking me to feed him; he will eat his dinner on his own.After dinner, then they will start to watch the TV programs or play with their toys/games.

So far, this new routine is working to my advantages – I get to finish my chores earlier/faster and get more times to spend with the children. These few nights, I even had time to go online and do some installation for a laptop that Adrian will be using for his oversea attachment.

Well, I guess at different stages, we learn a different approach to our family lifestyle management. I believe the 2nd half of 2008 will be a bigger challenge for me.

3 comments:

louis said...

I like the idea of eating together as a family, without the distraction of the TV in the background. Its a great time to catch up with each family member how they spent their day.

Its good for Anders to eat on his own -- gives him something to to do with his hands, other than just only his mouth working :)

Joyce Long said...

New routine is a indeed a big challege. Great that the kids welcome new changes. Once your family achieved it, surely feel sense of fufilment.

Aces Family said...

Hi Louis,

Thanks for dropping your 1st comment. Yeah, indeed, it's always good to eat tgther as a family. Like we do on weekends.

Hi Joyce,

True, it felt great to achieve something as a family.. : )

Thanks,
astee