Saturday, May 31, 2008

Her 1st Enrichment Class – MPM Math

As parents, we had been slacking in sending our children to enrichment classes, I think it's because we are plain LAZY…hee. Jokes aside, honestly, I have been looking around for enrichment classes and proposed them to Anthea. She always says “NO”. I believe the reason why she said No is because she is worried about getting scolded by the teacher.

Recently, I discussed with Adrian that we really need to consider seriously for her to start some lesson. This is mainly to prepare her for Primary School as she will likely has tuition classes when she starts school. The other reason is simply - she is too restless at home and watching too much TV programs.

I did some research on Mathematics enrichment class and shortlisted 2 schools that are near to our house – Kumon & MPM Math. From the Forum, I had gathered some feedbacks on Kumon and decided against enrolling Anthea for the class.
For MPM Math, one of my colleagues had enrolled her daughter for the course and listening to her feedback and looking at the workbook, I was quite impressed. So I brought Anthea to the Ang Mo Kio Centre and did a “game” as what the consultant mentioned. She did it and enjoyed the “game”. After that, I signed her up for the course.

Last Thursday was her 1st lesson. There is a Teacher Irene in the centre which Anthea had good impression of, so luckily on Thursday, she was around and guided Anthea through the lesson. The reason why Anthea had an impression of her was because she is PRETTY and very approachable.

Today morning when she woke up, she told me: “mommy, I am very excited about the lesson today and I am going to see teacher Irene.” I am really glad to hear these words from her. I brought her to the centre for her lesson and told her that I will not be inside waiting for her. Once she’s done, she can call me and I will fetch her. She said: “ok, mommy, you can take a walk in AMK HUB.” Such a sweet thought.

I did some errands around the centre and when she was done almost 30 minutes later. She called me and I picked her up from the centre. As usual, I asked her how her lesson was. She was very happy and told me that she enjoyed her lesson and teacher Irene gave her a sticker for a Well-Done lesson. Then she said she had homework and wanted to do it soon. After her afternoon nap, she woke up and did her homework.

This is definitely an improvement on her routine on just watching TV programs and doing nothing. She is very motivated and told me “Mommy, I want to learn drawings…” : )

6 comments:

Louis & Eve said...

That's fantastic! Glad that she enjoyed the enrichment class and its also something that will come in useful for her as she goes into P1 next year.

Wow... drawing lessons, huh? You think you might have a budding artist in the near future?? :)

Aces Family said...

Yo..yeah, i hope this preparation will be useful when she starts Primary school.

Hmm...Artist, i doubt very much, if you see her drawings. I am more keen for her to learn the basic survivor skill - swimming.

cheers,
astee

Anonymous said...

hi..been reading blog. heard mpm is more org than kumon.more of the cost incurred also. pri 1, need to ustd concepts of addition and substraction 1st..cheers..anne

Aces Family said...

Hi Anne,

Thanks for reading my blog and dropping a comment.

Yeah, Anthea is learning basic understanding from MPM Math. The good think is she is learning through "games" and it makes her think & ask us questions as well.

The cost you mentioned here is it the course fees ? If yes, i would say both are about the same, if i am not mistaken.

ps: Do you have a blog? Hope to learn more from diff parenting styles.

cheers,
astee

kckc said...

hi,
I am also a slient reader to yr blog. Really envy u for having such a smart gal...and yr sacrifice to PT job.

Can i check with you whether MPM Maths is good? My son Pri 1 Maths result is not very good and he is going pr 2 next yr...dunno it is too late to enrol him now. Hope to have some views from you...

BTW my hb also working at Paya Lebar airforce...

Hope to hear from u soon. My email is kchua05@yahoo.com.sg

Rahul said...

Nice comments. I bet they really had a great time in there. I guess taking tailor made sports tours would be great too.
Math Tuition At Hougang