Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Survivial Skills

This morning the Straits Time headlines ‘hit’ me very hard…..

Six-year-old girl drowns in Sentosa hotel pool
http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_125664.html

It was supposed to be happy outing but it ended in a tragedy. My heart goes out to the family. It happened so fast and with so many people around as well. So many question marks…sigh …. : (

Now I really understand why Adrian always said: Both Anthea and Anders must learn the 2 basic survival skills – Swimming & Cycling. He said the other enrichment programs are secondary; these 2 skills are a must.

All these while I agreed with him whole heartedly. This is the reason why I always insist on Anthea taking proper swimming lessons. Children are always very active and especially when they are near swimming pools, they do not know the depth of it and will just plunge down.

With basic swimming skills, regardless how deep the pool may be, they can swim themselves back to safety.

I am hoping for the day that Anthea will tell me “mommy, I want to learn swimming”.

As for Anders, I will enroll him once he reach the minimum age, especially for boy, it is crucial for their National Service.

No comments: