Monday, August 17, 2009

PM ND Rally – "孝道"

Last year I had the chance to listen to our PM Lee national day rally and was greatly inspired by his speech on becoming a Part Time SAHM. : )

This year, I told myself – I must listen to his speech again because I may be able to draw another inspiration from it.

So last evening after a great exercise regimen and a relaxed dinner with Anthea and Anders, I sat down by the TV @ 8pm and listen to PM Lee HL’s speech.

I was right in staying home to listen to what he said and this time the message is very clear to me. Deep in my heart, I know where my root is.

Taken from the Straits Times, 17 August, extract on PM Lee Speech:

Intolerance

This involves not respecting the beliefs of others, or not accommodating others who belong to different religions.

Sometimes it happens within the family: Parents are traditional religionists, but the children have converted.

When the parents die, the children stay away from the funeral or the wake because they believe the traditional rites are against their new religion.

'It's very sad. From a traditional point of view, it's the ultimate unfilial act, but it does happen occasionally,' Mr Lee said.


When i heard what he said about the last part, i felt the sadness inside me. As a daughter, i know i should be there for my parents, regardless of race, language and religion.

I grew up in a very traditional and conservation family and the word Filial Piety has been taught to us since we were young. We are always very respectful towards our parents, although at time we find them a bit naggy but we know they meant well for us.

With this inspirational speech, I know I will find my WAY in the right direction and following what I believe in my root. I will pass this teaching to my children and ensure that they always remember 飲水思源的道理and embraced 孝道in their value.

2 comments:

Angeline said...

OH yes!
*head keeps nodding*

Lydia said...

erm.. i wont stay away.. just wont participate in the ritual.. at my grandparents funerals, i busied myself helping out at the wake ;)