Friday, August 28, 2009

Learning Journey to Hay’s Dairies & Frog Farm@ Jurong

I woke up at 5.30am to prepare our snack boxes for today school Learning Journey to Hay’s Dairies and Frog farm.

Yes, I signed up as a parent support for the event and Anthea’s form teacher had shortlisted me for the outing..hee. This was my 1st official outing as a PSG with the school. The previous activity was held in her school.

At 7.30am, after sending Ander’s to his childcare, I reached Anthea’s school and waited in the canteen for the children assembly.

After assembly, I saw the classes started lining up and went to the coach pick up area. When I saw Anthea class came out, I followed her class. There was another mommy who joined in as PSG for the outing. I knew her before and so we had each other as companion.

The children started boarding the coach once it arrived and we set off about 7.45am.

It was about an hour journey from the school to Hay Dairies because of the morning traffic. Luckily the children were all considered well behaved during the journey.

We reached Hay Dairies about 8.50am and the person in charge told us it was not open yet…haha. So we waited a while at the gate while they farm prepared themselves.

Exactly at 9am, the gate opened and the children were very excited. As we were the 1st batch to arrive, we had a good opportunity to be the 1st group to view the Goat Milking. The person in charge did a briefing to the children and explained to them about the process and the goodness of the Goat Milk. It was an eye opening experienced for the children and I believed they enjoyed it very much.

Then we proceeded to view the goat in their pens. Due to the H1N1 influenza, AVA had ordered the dairies to stop all goat feeding activities and we can’t even go near them. The children were disappointed but the form teacher told them at least they had seen the goat milking process.

After going one round to see the goat, the form teacher announced it was their recess time. The children washed their hand and we started having a mini picnic session at the farm. Children brought out all the snack boxes and tidbits and shared with one another.

I also took the chance to have a quick break and munched on my home made beacon & egg sandwiches. I also brought along some tidbits for Anthea and she shared with her classmates.

Recess was over in about 30 minutes. We collected our carton of Goat Milk and say good bye to the goats.

The next stop of the journey was Jurong Frog Farm. It was located about 2 lanes away from the goat farm.

When we arrived at the frog farm, the person in charged gave us a brief introduction to the America Bull Frog that they reared in their farm. The children were all very excited. Some were very keen and wanted to touch the frog. Some were so scared and kept a distance away from the frog…haha.

After the briefing, they were brought to the feeding section and everyone was happily feeding the thousand and thousand of frogs. I was really amazed to see so many frogs in this place. Now I know where does our “田鸡粥“get their supply from. : P

We also saw Eels in this farm and they were so many of them too.

The tour ended after a short video presentation about the farm. Then we organized ourselves for a class photos.

Then it was “school-sweet-school” and we finally reached the school about 12 noon.

It was overall a very educational trip for me and I believe the children had learnt as much as I and this memory will go with them for a long long time.

I am glad to have this experienced as a PSG for the outing and looking after class of 30 active children is not an easy task. To the teacher who look after them every day, I must really say – it’s tough work and Thank YOU!

3 comments:

Lydia said...

What great opportunity to be on the PSG for this outing! :)

levinetay said...

yes yes! very fun. i also "offer" myself as a PSG. ;)

blurblur said...

This is such a great experience! :)