Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Zom-Mie"

On Monday morning Anders woke up and told me “mommy, I had a headache.” I felt his forehead and it was warm. Immediately I took his temperature and it confirmed my worst fear – He had a Fever and it was 38 degrees. I fed him paracetamol and let him stayed home to rest.

Luckily Monday was an Off-in-lieu day for Adrian and myself. I planned to bring Anthea to the library to revise her Math paper as she was having her Math SA on Tuesday and Mother Tongue paper on Wednesday.

In the morning, we went to the library and Adrian stayed home with Anders. We took about 2 hours for her revision. Then we went home for lunch. Anders was still feverish when I reached home. So I fed him another round of paracetamol and he rested.

In the evening, Adrian brought him to the GP and he was diagnosed to have mild chest infection. He was prescribed as what Adrian said “whole arsenal of medication”. There was anti-biotic, cough syrup, phlegm syrup and fever medicine. He was given 2 days medical leaves.

His fever at night hover between 38 – 39 degrees, so beside medication, I was also sponging him the whole night.

On Tuesday, Adrian decided to claim his child sick leave and stayed home with Anders while I went to work. Anthea had her Math SA the same day.

Anders’s fever was high throughout the day and we kept sponging him and fed him the 2 fever medicine – Paracetamol and Brufen.

At night, around 2 am, Anthea woke up and complaint that her throat was painful and she felt warm. I took her temperature and the reading was 38.3 degrees. Gosh…I thought she could have avoided the virus but somehow, the virus still found her…sigh..人算不如天算。。。

So I gave the paracetamol and hopefully she can recover well on Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday morning, when I took Anthea temperature, she was still having fever. So I went to the school to inform her form teacher of her absence and asked her about the MT Paper. Luckily Mrs. Koh said that she will arrange for Anthea to take her paper when she recovers.

Adrian brought her to the GP while I was at work and she was confirmed to have tonsillitis. Again, she was prescribe with an arsenal of medication – antibiotics, fever medicine, phlegm and cough syrup. She was also given 2 days of medical leaves.

On Wednesday, we had 2 “fever” children at home and Adrian was busy feeding them medication. He even wrote a time-table of who eat what medication and the time/temperature.

At night, I had to sleep between the 2 of them on the floor mattress as I need to sponge both of them. What a night … : P

I hardly had a good night sleep for the last 3 nights and I have been going to work. Luckily I only worked ½ a day; otherwise, I really will be “sleeping” on the job..hehe.

Today Adrian went back to work and in the morning, my mom came over to help me look after the 2 of them. I had some important issues to clear at work, so I could not be home, as much as I wish to be.

Now, Anders temperature is getting back to near normal and Anthea temperature is still a little high, I will continue to monitor their situation. Hopefully they can be fully recovered by tomorrow.

Now I know – “when the child/children are down, the MOMMY is out.”…and beware when you see a “zom-mie”.

7 comments:

stardust said...

I do not do sponging when Vince was having high fever when he was younger. But I find those fever plasters pasted on forehead and letting him sleep on cool water cushions can help.

Idy said...

Do take extra care now that the H1N1 flu virus is going around.... take good care, everyone!

Aces Family said...

Hi Stardust,

Yes, we tried the fever pad on anders but he doesn't like it. Also beside forehead,there are other points to cool when a child is having high fever, so sponging will help to cool the whole body.

Hi Idy,

Thanks for the regards and we are extremely careful with so much different virus in the air.

Also now it's exam "fever" and many children are sick too.. : P

cheers,
astee

Mommy Lose Weight said...

when my son was down with high fever, he was givein Paracetamol and Brufen too, alternate every 3 hourly.

take care of yourself too Astee!

Angie said...

same same. jaimie was down with a high fever suddenly last night. :(

Aces Family said...

Hi Ling,

I read your blog and saw that Zenden was down. Yup, para and brufen are the best "combats" to find this virus.

Hi Angie,

Virus is now spreading fast & furious...make sure she drinks lot of water too. Hope Jae get well soon.

astee

blurblur said...

Hope both kids are well now! Yes, when the kids are down, it's really tough on the parents, especially when more than one kid is down...take care and rest more whenever possible!