Sunday, May 17, 2009

Social Responsibility & MC

Last Thursday as Anthea was still on her medical leaves, I decided to let her rest at home. In the evening, I went to her tuition class to inform her tuition teacher of her absence and also to collect her holiday worksheet from the teacher. Her tuition class will be having a short break from 18 May to 06 June 2009.

I met one of her tuition classmate mother and she asked me where was anthea? I told her “她发烧所以让她休息“I told her. Then she said “哦,我儿子今天也是发烧,高39度。我给他吃退烧药,现在好了。“

I took a look at her son and he does look a little listless. I was thinking because a few days back she told me her son was having fever and he took medication and was well. But it seems to me his fever has been going up & down.

I thought to myself that as a mother, perhaps the boy’s mom should have kept him home to rest rather than to bring him to public places. As he was still recovering, I believe somehow, he may still carry the virus with him. And in an air-conditioned classroom, virus may be passing on to other children.

With the H1N1 virus being spread like wildfire, the ministry has advised individual to be socially responsible and should one be sick, he/she must refrain from going to crowded area. I know Anthea’s classmate is not having H1N1 but still being sick, it’s better to rest home and recover well.

I just hope that the boy’s mother will exercise more responsibility and be considerate for other children.

MC here is not referring to Medical Certificate; it is referring to MILO COOKIES…hehe.
An ex-colleague of mine has been sharing some very interesting recipes with me. Each time she emailed me a recipe, I am sure to try it the next moment. Simple reason being she has 2 boys and when her recipe works out well with her boys, I would think it will work out well with Anthea and Anders too, as her children age gap is about the same as mine.

Last Sunday, I tried the Milo Cookies recipe and it turned out well. Anthea and Anders love them and we had them handy for breakfast and tea break. During this week, I feedback to my colleague about the cookies and my only concern was the cookies turned out too big & flat and I told her it’s like Subway’s cookies.

Then she gave me an important pointer – don’t shape it too flat and her son did the cookies into bite sizes. Notes taken and will remember to do the same for the next bake. Today, I decided to give it a 2nd attempt and followed her guideline accordingly and the cookies turned out PERFECT , just like famous amos (FA cookies) except ours is "AF Cookies" (aces family cookies).

Anthea tried them at lunch and she told me “mommy, next time every week you must bake some cookies for us, ok? “ I look at her and said “I will try but not cookies every week, mommy will try other recipe too…like nutella muffins.”

Yes, I received this from my colleague too and I am keen to try them soon.. : )

7 comments:

Meekfreek said...

Wah! The Milo Cookies look delicious Astee! Can share the recipe with your loyal readers?

On the other issue, alot of parents will send their kids to school or enrichment even if they have not yet recovered for a number of reasons:

1. No caregiver if they are not at school
2. Don't want the kid to miss out on lessons/learning
3. They feel it's a waste of money if the kid is absent.

Social responsibility is definitely way down the list. If people were socially responsible they would probably behave better on public transport for a start. Singapore is a very young country. Social graces take time to cultivate.

Angie said...

wah~~~ the cookies look so nice!

Anonymous said...

Hi Astee! Same same. Ivan classmates "sick" also go to school too! Somemore in an aircon environment. The mom simply says that..."fever ok already" thought last evening still got fever..."

Anonymous said...

Can share the recipes for the Milo Cookies ? May be you can start a blog that store all the delicious recipes you have .....

LZmommy said...

Sad to say some parents just don't share the same thoughts as you :(

Wow! Milo cookies! Never try that before! Can share the recipe pls? Maybe through facebook? :) I realised I haven't been baking for a long time. After seeing your cookies, I'm itching to bake and hope I can find time for that.

Aces Family said...

Hi MF & Angie,

Let me know when is the "usual suspect" gathering and i will be more than happy to bake the cookies for the kiddos...and adults, of course.

MF, you are right that SG has a LONG, LONG way to go when social grace is concerned. Let hope our next generation will fare better than us.

Hi Happyij,

Yes, it's always the same reasoning. Just make sure your child takes his usual vitamins and drinks lot of water to strengthen his immunity.

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your comment. Baking is one of my hobby and i enjoy it. But to start a Food Blog requires more than what it takes...hee. So i think it's better of me to keep it simple here..as a hobby.

Hi LZmommy,

Don't worry, once your routine is more settled down, i believe you will have time to go back to your baking.


cheers,
astee

blurblur said...

WOW~~ Milo is my fav drink and to make it into cookies must be yummy delicious..hehe...:)