Wednesday, April 29, 2009

“My Mommy doesn't teach me”

Recently at Lydia's birthday party, I met one of Anthea's classmate mommy. She is a Full Time working mother. She had 3 children and Anthea's classmate (S) is the youngest of her 3 children.
We were chatting about our children result in school and she lamented that S was not doing very well in her studies. I had also heard from Anthea that S had not learnt this and not learnt that in class.

S's mother was very stressed and tensed. Previously for her 2 older children, she had left them in an after school care centre and so far, they are pretty independent in their studies and she had no worries.

As of this year, she engaged a maid and kept all the 3 children at home after school. The reason is cost efficiency. For the after school care service, she needs to pay $300 per child, so if she was to put 3 of them there, it would be a hefty sum of $900 per month. She said it's almost ¾ of her salary. So she decided to engage a maid which can look after the children and help her parents in housework too.

To her dismayed, S is not as independent as her siblings in her studies. So she is lagging behind in class. She told me that the form teacher has feedback to her when the teacher asked S why she does not know her work. S would say: “my MOMMY didn't teach me.”

I was so shocked to hear S feedback too. I had never thought that a child of this age would put the “BLAME” on her parents. S's mommy was asking me about Anthea's after school care arrangement and I told her I take care of Anthea personally. Then she commented: “seem like all those children with mommy at home have no problems in their studies. Children with working mommy seem to be facing issues.”

I thought about her comments and I was thinking to myself. Yes, I made the decision to become a PTSAHM because I know the initial transition part to Primary school is difficult and the child will need a lot of attention. I believe S is not a slow learner but I think she just wants her mother attention.

I had the chance to chat with another working mommy and she felt the same, as a FT working mother, she does not have enough time to guide her daughter in her studies and she is now seriously considering to go Part Time next year. Also she mentioned that her daughter's school teacher recommended Parents to sign their children up for tuition or enrichment classes if they have problem teaching their own child. (she said this was recommend during a Chinese workshop in school)

Nowadays, Primary ONE children are not just learning A-B-C, they are really learning much more at a faster speed than we used to. Imagine spelling each week, topical tests every after every 2 chapters taught and Oral test with listening comprehension. There are just so much information for the parents to digest, less talk about the children…sigh.

Till today, I am glad that I had the opportunity to be with Anthea and to see that the transition from Kindergarten to Primary school goes smoothly and she is adapting well.

It is not an easy decision but I believe it's the Best I can give to my children.

I hope that as Anthea grows up she will remember that Mommy is always there for her, as and when she needs me.

7 comments:

stardust said...

Hi hi. As a part-time working mommy, how are you planning to look after your children during June and Dec long hols?

Aces Family said...

Hi Stardust,

This June holiday,my hubby is taking 2 weeks leaves to look after her and then i may rope in my MIL/my mom help for the remaining 2 weeks, if i am working. If my contract ends June, i will look after myself..hee : )

astee

ShanZen - Brightsong said...

I sort-of agree with your posting, Astee. I'm also glad I quitted fulltime employment (almost 2 years now!) and managed with parttime pay.

On other hand, I'm also someone who cannot bear stay-at-home totally so I can understand why some women would choose to work fulltime. Yet, I've also learned fulltime work would not work well for those with primary school kids unless they have a caregiver who can guide or at least be an academic role-model.

I haven't mentioned in my blog but ee zen's school only has one "proper" exam end-of-year for primary ones (now it's mostly worksheets & spellings), so I can't say for sure if my time spent with my boy now is working well yet. :p

Aces Family said...

Hi BS,

I believe we are the lucky ones who can work PT and still have time for our children.

Yes, like you, i also don't like staying home FT, also the extra $$ come in handy for my personal insurances.

Honestly, the exam results are secondary. Important thing is you being there to give Ee Zen the confidence and attention he needs thru the transition period. I think this is an important phase in their growing up.

regards,
astee

jean said...

Hi Astee, hmm...i don't think I can handle work and children at the same time too... and I also feel that having a mother at home be it part-time or full-time does have an impact on the child. In any case, each child is different so their growing pace is also different too.

Glad that you manage your home well...well done!! *a pat for you on your shoulder*

Aces Family said...

Hi Jean,

It's not easy be a FT working mom and yet have to take care of school going children and plus housework, i think i will go crazy...: P

Agreed that each child is different in their own way and also agreed with you that having mommy around does make an impact, somehow : )

I am drawing a lot of inspiration from mommies like yourself to motivate me on...hehe.

We will PAT EACH Other shoulder as we grow in everyday life !!

cheers,
astee

Angie said...

放弃工作在家全职照顾孩子的妈妈是非常伟大的!