Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dilemma

Anthea has completed her 1st school term in Tien Hsia and I had signed her up for the 2nd term as she requested to continue the lessons. She truly enjoys her Chinese lessons.

On Monday, her tuition centre teacher gave me the revision time table for next term. I got a SHOCK as there will be 6 revision classes conducted between March to April. The revision classes are conducted on the same day/time as her Tien Hsia Class.

Last term, we missed a few revision lessons but I still pay for the test papers and Anthea brought home the test papers to do. The teacher marked her papers. This term, thinking that there would be only 3 revision classes, so I thought I will do the made up classes for Tien Hsia.

Now with 6 revision classes, I don’t think it’s possible to do the make-up lessons. I looked at the time table for Tien Hsian Primary 1 enrichment classes, it seem like we are left with a Tuesday afternoon class.

I spoke to Anthea of the change and she felt disappointed about it as she really likes her current teacher and classmates. I told her the change is just for this term, we can change back to the same class again next term. Hopefully her next term revision classes are lesser.

After a few rounds of discussion, last evening at the school, we decided to temporary “HOLD” her Tien Hsia classes and resume it in term 3. I find that it’s a pity because the classes were really helpful and she had maintained a perfect score in all her chinese spellings and readings. However, this is her decision and I will respect it. Like what Adrian said, don’t force her otherwise she may turn her interest against the subject, this is the last thing I want her to feel, especially for CHINESE.

Sigh…the 2nd term is a critical term as her school test marks will make up 30% of her final result. Term 4 will make up 70% of the results for CA & SA.
As the tuition classes are more helpful in her school curriculum, we think it would be better to focus it this term, as for her Chinese lessons, I will put in more revisions at home with her. .. : )

Like what the chinese say : 鱼与熊掌, 难以兼得.

1 comment:

Shiny Stars said...

Well at times we are at cross road and just believe that choices made are wise one.