Monday, April 02, 2007

My Disappointment...

I came across a swimming school that is starting a beginner class at Bishan Swimming pool for children of Anthea's age. After gathering all the information, i thought to myself, it is about time Anthea start on proper swimming lessons.

She goes swimming every Sundays with my In-laws and she enjoys swimming. So on last Thursday / Friday, i told her about starting lesson on Sunday. At first, she rejected my proposal, saying that the teacher will scold her if she swims wrongly. Then i explained in detail the pros of the coach's teaching and usually the coach will not scold children, if they follow instruction properly. So after listening, she agreed to give it a try on Sunday.

This morning, i woke up, with great enthusiasm and looking forward to her 1st swimming lesson. Adrian received a call from Dad mentioning that he was not going for his Sunday badminton, so adrian said he will take a taxi, cos i will drive Anthea to Bishan for her swimming lesson. All these was confirmed and i left for NTUC to do my marketing since it was still early.

When i reached home from NTUC, i was shocked and disappointed when Anthea told me "mommy, i don't want to go lesson. I want to go Civil Service...". Then Adrian told me that Mom & Dad will fetch Anthea and myself to Bishan for the lesson and then they will go Civil Service for their swim. I asked him "why do i need them to fetch us, i am driving ? " I reckon Anthea overheard the conversation and decided that she want to go Civil Service Club with my In-laws instead.

I was really DISAPPOINTED that she chosed to abandon the original plan. All around me kept telling me : "it's ok, don't force her". My mood was spoiled for the rest of the day.

After dinner, Adrian came back and told me that "today at CSC, she can swim the whole width..", i asked him "did she do it with the right stroke ? did she comes up for air correctly ? ".

"She hold her breath all the way."

Well, honestly, i am not wanting her to become the next Joceslyn Teo or Tao Li. My basis is for her to learn Survival skills. Scenario : should she fall into the deeper end of the pool with no supervision around, i want her to be able to swim herself to safety and not just hold her breath!! At the age of 5, i would think it is ideal age to pick up this basic skills.

Adrian told me, we will bring her for swimming lesson when she asked for it. I told him : "yeah, if that day comes..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Astee, don't be disheartened by Anthea. I think she is more excited going out with grandparents to enjoy their companies.

Frankly, I didn't learn swimming from any coach. My dad just thrown me into the pool when I was around 5 or 6 yo. And all I know was to float and of course scared. In the end, I swim and enjoy since then. Don't be upset, I'm sure she is swimming alright.

Aces Family said...

Hi Jean,

Yeah, i know but i just feel a sense of disappointment because after all the effort & persuasion, she finally agreed to go for lesson. Yet, at the last hour, she changed her mind.

No choice lah..i guess i will just follow wat others said : "let her be".

rgds,
astee

Louis & Eve said...

Don't worry... Louis and I will continue to "encourage" Anthea to go for swimming lessons. At least she was agreeable to the idea once. I'm sure she can be persuaded to try again. Don't give up hope yet.

Aces Family said...

hi,

Yes, please help to encourage her, so she know it's really for her good.

I will keep my hopes on but not high... : P

astee