Friday, February 13, 2009

First Topical Tests

Anthea had her 1st topical test for English & Chinese last week and she had her topical test on Math this week.

I was a little stressed over her topical tests. Reason being if she does not do well, she may need to go back for remedial classes. I have nothing against remedial classes; it’s just that I don’t want her nap routine to be disrupted. Nap is especially important as she had tuition classes in the evening on alternate days.

Last Friday, she brought back her English and Chinese test papers and I was very happy with her attempts. She had FULL marks for both papers. She scored 25/25 for English and she had 50/50 for Chinese. I went through both set of test papers. For English paper, I would say its set quite easily but of course, it follows what the teacher had taught in class. As for Chinese paper, most of it was in 汉语拼音, so to be able to score well; she must be familiar with the 拼音。

This week Wednesday, she had her Math test. I knew that she had some problem in her Math and on Tuesday evening, I had asked Adrian to give her a bit of coaching in the subject matter. After the coaching, she seems to understand the concept better. On Thursday she brought back the Math test paper and I was happy with her result - 24/25. Her mistake was on spelling error of the word “EIGHT”. She spelled “eighth”; I think she got a little confused with tuition class spelling…hee.

Both Adrian and me gave her praises for her effort. We told her it’s perfectly ok to make mistakes in test as we learn from mistake.

So far, I am very happy with her performance in both her school work & tuition work, though some time I do worried if she may be too “pressurized” with all the homework. I have been giving her my assurance that if she felt that there is too much work, then we can stop either the tuition classes or Chinese enrichment class.

Nowadays coaching a child in his/her study is no longer so simple. Many times, I tried coaching Anthea in her studies and ended up getting angry with her. I think my way of coaching is not right.

As for Adrian ways of coaching, she enjoyed it and can absorb the concept better. Think I must learn from Adrian about his coaching or go and find out more about correct ways of coaching. Adrian will be going on oversea detachment in the 2nd half year of 2009, so I better trained myself well as the 2nd half year is more crucial for Anthea.

Both Adrian and me are non-graduates and our wish for our children is to 出于; so far we are very happy with her performance and will give her our greatest encouragement through her school
years.

9 comments:

Angie said...

well done, young lady!

LZmommy said...

Wow! Well done Anthea! :) You mommy must be very proud of you :)

Shiny Stars said...

Wow, keep up the good work Anthea!

Thumbs up for Mummy and Daddy too!

Aces Family said...

Hi Mommies,

Thanks for words of encouragment !!

cheers,
astee

Anonymous said...

wow!! *clap! clap!* Well done!! Keep up the good work!

She is very detailed in her work and checking too...not many kids can get full marks!

blurblur said...

Well done, Anthea! :)

Astee, you've done a good job! :)

Damien tends to make lotsa careless mistakes in his work...and that worries me...sigh..

Lydia said...

woweeee... what good scores! I'd be proud too! Hey, I'm gonna tune-in to your Anthea's P1's life to prep me for my girl's P1 next yr ;)

I'm with you on coaching, somehow men are better in it... I'm glad that my DH would be doing it! =D

Aces Family said...

Hi Mommy Charmaine,

She tends to be careless sometimes, so i constantly reminds her to check her test papers..: )

Hi BB,

Yes, children of these age are quite careless, esp they are new to all the worksheet thing. You will just need to remind him to be careful, trust me, it will get into Damien too...: )

Hi Lydia,

You are most welcome to share any experience as we go along the parenthood journey. I learnt alot from all the blogging mommies/daddies. Good luck to your daughter P1 registration exercise.

cheers,
astee

Sadeesh said...

Nice blog
Singapore Tour Packages