Friday, July 17, 2009

钱不够用!!

I gave Anthea $5 for her weekly allowance. This means that each day for recess, she has a $1 to use. so far she has been a thrifty spender and by the end of the week, I can see balance coins in her wallet.

This week on Monday morning, I did the same and put $5 into her wallet. Yesterday, I did a random check with her wallet and I saw there was a balance of 30¢. I was shocked and questioned her about her spending this week. After some prompting, she told me that she bought a pencil and an eraser for $1 on Wednesday. So that was why she was only left with 30¢ on Thursday.

I was very angry and told her that I had been telling her that she SHOULD not buy stationery without my permission. At home, we had so many pencils & erasers from all her previous gift, so there is no reason for her to buy more. I told her she was wasting her own monies and also this would mean that she has no pocket monies on Friday.
If I had not checked her wallet, she would have to go without food at recess.

She asked me to packed ham & cheese bread for her this morning. I did it for her and asked her : “did you count how much monies you have before buying the pencil & eraser?” she said : “No.”

I told her that next time before she buys anything, she must learn to count how much she has balance in her wallet and to plan her spending wisely.

I know the temptation to buy from the school bookshop is great but I want to make sure she does not make it a habit and find the easy way out when she misuse her dollar & cents.

I want her to learn the value of money from young and this is a good chance and I hope she will keep this lesson in life for a long, long time.

3 comments:

LZmommy said...

I think it i common for P1 children to use up their money :) I remembered last yr my girl also did the same thing too. This yr she is much better in handling her pocket money.

I have to give my girl $2 everyday coz she spends alot on food and $1 is not enough for her (she said)!:p She does come home with some coins though. She also complains they increase the price in canteen again. Now I wonder if she is eating too much.

blurblur said...

We give Damien $1.50 daily,and he normally spent less than a dollar, he would save up the remaining in his piggy bank, sometimes I think he did not eat during recess cos he can come home with $1.00...and told me he spent the 50c on a stationery...sigh...

He likes to buy stationeries from the book store too, I think kids simply can't resist the many cute and nice stuff in the book store...haha

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

Indeed, things are getting more expensive. At least L spend on her food, so it's ok.

Hi BB,

Wow..Damien don't eat anything at recess, does he gets hungry?

At least he's a saver. That's a good habit to cultivate.

cheers,
astee