Thursday, April 17, 2008

Financial Independence

One of my colleagues is a high earner. The other day we were chatting about our children primary school after school care provider. She has 2 daughters and the eldest is the same age as Anthea.

I told her that my ideal plan is to work ½ day morning and be able to look after Anthea after school, if she is in morning session. Otherwise we have to work out other options .


She said her husband also asked her to work part time or quit her job. He felt that she should spend more time with her daughters, guiding them in the education.


She said: “No, I do not want to give up what I am earning now, unless my husband can match it. “
She said : “ I am enjoying my financial independence and I can buy what ever I like and I want, no need to ask my husband permission. “

I was thinking – indeed, ask any mommies - who do not want this kind of independence. But when it is your CHILD versus MONEY, I think the answer is quite obvious. There are exceptions, of course.


For our family,if we were to rely on Adrian sole income, it will be a bit taxing on him. I don’t earn much but enough to support my own insurance policies and also builds up on children education funds.

In Singapore, we are considered lucky as we are able to employ maids to look after our children or send our children to after school care services. So working mommies still have the options to remain in workforce.

To work or not to work – that’s a question for me, comes 2009 !!

7 comments:

Clement said...

hi astee,

After expressing your views on your colleague's decision to not give up her job (pointing out that children obviously more impt than $$), you go on to say that Singaporeans are considered lucky because they can employ maids to look after children so that they can remain in the workforce (to earn more $$).

Ermm...can't really tell whether you are pro stay-at-home or pro working leh.

Aces Family said...

Hi Clement,

Exactly, i am at the Crossroad. And there is no answer to my question..sigh!!

Does your company need Part timers..hee : P

regards,
astee

LZmommy said...

I am sad that the mother feel this way....

It is tought decision to make ideed... But to me, children is anytime more important than financial independence. Hub may not earn like a millionaire but at least it is enough for us.

It will be good if you can find a part time job and coach Anthea in the afternoon. You may earn less than what you are earning now, but money can't buy the time you spend with your little ones. And with your guidance, Anthea will have no problem transiting into primary school life.

On the other hand, if you do decide to continue working, hope you will be able to find a very good after school care service for Anthea. It will be tedious for you though.... You will have to go through her homework after work. We can't depend only on the school and after school care services.

LZmommy said...

Hi Astee

I have a tag for you, Link Love !

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

Well, to be fair to my colleague, she spent her $$ on her daughters as well.. : )

Yes,i would love to spend more time with Anthea/Anders. Hopefully i can get a PT job soon.. : )

thanks for the concerns.

astee

happypig said...

hi Astee,

this really is tough. to work or not to work.
my daughter would be entering P1 in 2009 too. i am thinking of letting her joining her current CC's BASC service. but it really depends on which primary school she will ultimately go to.
sometimes, to work or not to work really depends on other issues like: self worth... not really on monies that you earned.

Aces Family said...

Hi Happypig,

Indeed,it's a tough decision.

For me, it is more on monies earned because prices of things are going up & up..no way to rely on single income.

Well, comes July/August, we will know what is the next step to take..hee : P

cheers,
astee