Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Choke

Anders had this tendency to get choke quite easily…sigh.

The previous Saturday, he requested for a sweet and I gave him permission to have one. It is one of those hard sweet. I told him that he should not bit the sweet and just allow it to melt slowly in his mouth. He listened to my instruction and did not bit it. Then I told him to take a bath as we were going out for dinner.

As he walked to the bathroom, something happened. He swallowed the sweet and I think it got stuck in his throat. I was with him in the bathroom. His face turned very red and had some problems with his breathing. I did an abdominal thrust (Heimlich maneuver) repeatedly,
hoping to clear his blockage. At the same time, I gave him some water; he tried to drink a little at the time. He started crying and it was a sign to indicate the object may have clear from his throat. It was a relief and what a fright I had.

Anders seem to get choke quite easily, I think sometimes, he wants to do too many things at one time. Usually for dinner, I will make sure all the vegetables and meat are cut into small bites before mixing with the rice. Also, I will tell him not to talk when eating his meals and most important to bit his food before swallowing.

I do hope that as he grows, this problem will go away. But meanwhile, I have to be very watchful over his mouthful of food intake... : P

Life interlude:

Last evening, we were watching the 9pm Chinese drama “迷图“。The male actor (志伟)
gave a bouquet of flower to the female actress(淑贤).

淑贤 : 今天不是情人节,为什么送花给我?

志伟 : 这是我第一次送花给女孩。

Anthea: mommy what is 情人节?

Anders: 情人节 is Valentine ….

Me: yes, Anders, you are right. Who taught you this?

Anders was all smiled.

I was totally caught off guard and surprised that he knew of this. Probably he may have overheard this before and remembered it. Glad that he is able to use it in the right way!!

4 comments:

Louis & Eve said...

Seems like Faith has yet another thing in common with her cousin i.e choking, although this is an unfortunate similarity :)

Getting him not to rush his food is one, but I think it will also go away as he gets older. I remember I used to gag and choke over long strands of noodles when I was younger but outgrew them later on.

LZmommy said...

Glad to know that mommy knows how to do abdominal thrust :) It is important for us to know the basic life saving skills isn't it? :) I am glad my previous job thought me.

Hahaha... So young he already knows what is Valentine's Day!

Aces Family said...

Hi Eve,

Yeah, seem like a day of difference meant a lot more in common characters..: )

Hi LZmommy,

Yes, i have a "bible" - What you need to know about a Toddles, at home and i used it very often as reference.

Yeah, nowadays the young ones are full of surprises.

cheers,
astee

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I can imagine your fright esp when his face turned red. Thankfully you are calm to know what to be done.

Grace gets choke easily too so everytime during meal time, I am her nagger.. be careful, eat and swallow slowly... don't talk, swallow your food carefully...hmmm... :)