Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Special INVITATION & My New Camera

2 weeks ago, Anthea showed me a letter from her school regarding the following week schedules and also the dates of collecting and returning of the report books. The school also mentioned that there will be a Prize giving ceremony cum concert on Friday, 20 November 2009. Only parents of prize winners, all P6 students and performances need to attend the event due to space constraint.

I saw Anthea’s SA 2 results and told myself that likely we need not go to school on the Friday, so we just need to prepare ourselves in the morning for our Sentosa check in on the same day.

However, on Monday, she showed me a form after school. Yes, it was the INVITATION for the ceremony on this Friday. I was very surprised and happy to see that she is one of the prize winners as she is 2nd in her class. : )

I was totally over the moon with the news although I had not seen her report books yet, I knew she did well enough to gain 2nd placing in class.

Today is the report book day and she has made me a very proud mother with her wonderful results.
English – 94.0%

Chinese – 99.0 %

Mathematics – 88.0%

She scores Band 1 for all the subjects and A’s for all the others subjects – Art/Social study/Health education/ Music & Physical Education.

Only her Math was below 90% and after seeing her papers, we know where her weakness was and hopefully she will learn from it.

So this Friday, I will be attending her prize winning ceremony and thereafter we will proceed to Sentosa for our grand celebration.

For this special occasion and our Sentosa weekends stay, I decided to invest in a good camera to capture more photographs…haha.

I had been considering getting a DSLR camera and was seriously considering Panasonic Lumix DMC GF1 after hearing some very good feedback from the Club Snap forum. I had visited MS Color shop in AMK 2 – 3 times to check on this camera but so far, the shop does not has stock of the camera and advised me to wait till next month.

Today, I went to Chinatown to run some errands and there were few shops selling different models of cameras and I told myself to try my luck to see if the shop has my preferred camera. Yes, it has the G1 model that I was looking for…: P

Immediately I made my queries with the sale person and he showed me the camera.
The salesman explained to me the basic function of the G1 DSLR and also the pros & cons. In order to get a good zoom, I would need to buy extra lens and he said that would cost about another $600 (almost a price of a new camera…: P )

Then after knowing my needs, he recommend me another Panasonic Lumix – model FZ35.

This camera has what I wanted and he also mentioned that for a beginner to photography, this camera will suite me better than a DSLR. He said once I get used to playing the FZ35, he said I can go back and look for him for a DSLR camera. There was one sentence he said and impressed me – he said the FZ35 will make the photo “看起来有生命力”. Wow what a way to put it and the price was few hundred cheaper than G1. So it’s a win-save situation for me.

Finally I bought the FZ35 and the package include a 8GB SD Card, camera case, a tripod and he even gave me a free card reader and lens cleaning stuff.

I truly admired his professional knowledge and he was so openly sharing his knowledge with me and talking to him really make me learnt so much about the camera. I am really grateful to have met him in my pursue of a new hobby.

Okie, now I am reading the operating manual for my new camera and hopefully on this Friday, I can capture 有生命的照片。。哈哈!

10 comments:

LZmommy said...

*CLAP* Well Done Anthea! :D Wow! Her Chinese very strong!

Can't wait to see your pics with the new camera! Have been contemplating if I shld get one for a long time...

levinetay said...

Wow! The results all very very good!!

Can't wait to see yr new photos too ya!

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

Yes, her Chinese seem to be her stronger subject and yet she does not speak chinese at home..: P

Hmm..don't have too high expectation as i am still learning the camera functions..: )


Hi Levin,

Thanks and like what i told LZmommy - don't expect too much yet for the photo, i am a "new-born"...hehe.

cheers,
astee

blurblur said...

Well done, Anthea!! Her Chinese is really very very good! :) You did a good job too, Astee! :)

Háve an enjoyable weekend at the Sentosa and take loads of 有生命's photo to show us..hehe... :P

stardust said...

Do keep us updated about the review of your new Panasonic DSLR camera

My dream camera is the new Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF1. Hope the price will drop and I will get it in a few years' time. ;p

Aces Family said...

Hi BB,

Thanks and yes, i will try my best "SHOTS" : P

Hey Stardust,

I was actually planning to get the GF1..but after some consideration, decided on the FZ35 - this is more of a digital camera and not a DSLR..i will share my experienced.

cheers,
astee

Jan Lee said...

Great results......and wow....2nd in class....

Looking forward to you maiden photos (I used the word maiden because virgin photos sounded so crude)...heehee

Joyce Long said...

Congrats...superb results..excellent...

btw how much is the dslr did you buy?

Beautiful Love said...

Well Done Anthea! Astee you did well in coaching her too!

Cant wait to see the pictures. Happy exploring the camera!

Aces Family said...

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the congrats and being so gentle with my "maiden shots" : )

Hi Joyce,

My new camera is not a DSLR but it does have some of the functions for me to have a feel of it..hee : )

Hi BL,

Thanks and honestly i didn't coach her much, i was more nagging than coaching..hee.

Yeah, will share the pictures soon.

cheers,
astee