Wednesday, November 21, 2007

When will it happen to me - Long Service Award?

On Monday, our department went for buffet lunch at Oscar in Conrad Hotel. The Lunch spread was very good and all of us enjoyed the lunch. Yes, Oscar again...haha. See like my “business renewal” with Conrad Hotel will be on-going affairs from now onwards.

There are 2 reasons for our special lunch treat:

One of our colleague recently closed a fairly “BIG AMOUNT” contract, so it’s additional windfall for the department.

My direct supervisor is in her 10th Year with the company, so our GM thought it was also good to celebrate it. She received a Certificate and some monetary reward.

10th years of service are a long time, by my standard. Most of the people who work in this company that I know of are LONG SERVICE. One of my colleagues has been here since 1974…hee.

Well, positive way of looking at this kind of Long Service is the company is treating them well that they do not want to change employer.

Some commented that once you are in a company for over 4 – 5 years, you will be “too lazy” to move.

For my personal working record, I have not hit any 10th Years mark with my previous employers. I think it is the nature of the industry that I worked in before joining the current company. I thought I could have reached my 10th years with my last employer but my dream did not come true when I received the Retrenchment Notice.

At present, I am comfortable with my working hours, which is most important and if I do make it to 10th year with this company, I will throw a “BIG BANG” party.

10 comments:

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Astee,

In my opinion, at this day and age even 5 year in a company should be considered as long service award.

Honestly not many people I know worked beyond 5 years in any company. Only a handful of my friends, the Mrs included went beyond the 5 year mark.

Personally my average is 3 years. I'm entering my 3rd year in this current company now and I already have the urge to seek greener pastures.

Having said, that in my last company there are many people who worked very long. All the supervisory post and above worked for more than 15 years with the record holder, at 49 years. I attended his retirement party. I was there for 3.5 years and would have imagined myself to stay on, maybe even pass the 5 year mark only for my current company to poach me away.

Aces Family said...

Hi A Husband Voice,

Wow..what a nice surprise and thanks for your comment.

Hmm..i think our generation like to change job to make our resume looks more impressive.. : )

The older generation is all about Loyalty.

regards,
astee

LZmommy said...

Oscars! We like the buffet spread too :)

I was with my job for 11 yrs before I quit to be a housewife. I do enjoy my job then :) If you are happy,pays good and the working hour suit you, I don't think you would want to switch job unless you want new challenges right? :)

Aces Family said...

HI LZmommy,

Wow..11 years is a lot too, must have been a tough decision for you. : )

Yeah, i am happy with the 9 to 5 hr as i nd to doing fetching of the children plus watever chores after office hours.

cheers,
astee

Clement said...

wah looks like i belong more to 'the older generation' leh, having now crossed my 11 years in service...

Aces Family said...

Hi Clement,

For your 11 years, i would say it's PASSION..rather than older generation..haha.

Well, those that crossed 20 to 30 years of service are the real "older generation"..hee : P

cheers,
astee

Clement said...

haha Astee, thks but u give me more credit than i deserve... I'd personally attribute my stay to inertia more than to passion lah.

Anonymous said...

I think the longer one stays in a company, the harder it is to move out and adapt to the outside world. I am speaking from experience and this is what I am experiencing now. I have 'nua-ed' so much in my previous job that I am finding it a bit tough to catch up now! :-)

In any case, as long as you are comfy with current situation, stay on.... time flies and who knows, you will hit your 10th year mark soon....

Angie said...

My dad works in one and only company in his entire working life. he started as an apprentice and he worked his way up as a senior staff now. he hasnt retired yet!!!
I think i followed his foot steps. I finished my 11th year, and i think i will stay in my ministry till i retire.

Aces Family said...

Hi Idy,

I think i am like you, now "nua-ing",so don't really feel like changing job. Also time is my most important consideration.

Ok,if i hit 10th years,will invite you to the party..haha

Hi Angelcow,

Indeed,my in laws are like your father, have been in the same industries since their trainees days.

I saluate all of them. : )

cheers,
astee