Thursday, February 28, 2008

"Losing Out "

Today I had lunch with a few colleagues at the Original Sin. This is a mediterranean vegetarian restaurant and the food was quite impressive. On top of it, the restaurant has a very good promotion for American Express card holder: 1 for 1 set meal. For Citibank cardholder, there is also a promotion on the main course – 1 for 1 as well.

I had a set meal and it’s served with a soup of the day, main course (tofu burger / tortilla wrap with some special vegetables), dessert and coffee/tea. The set meal cost $24++.

My colleague chose a set meal and so we order one main course each and shared the portion. I like the tofu burger and it was very delicious.

During lunch, we had small talks on works and families. One of them, who are in the legal industry, had twins whom will be starting Primary School next year. This means that they are of the same age group as Anthea.

We were chatting about short listing primary school and he voiced his opinion on the MOE system of selections. As his twins is a boy and a girl, he is in a dilemma as to which house address he should use to register for his girl (aiming at MGS) & his boy (aiming at ACS).

Then also he commented that his children week days and week ends are packed – Mondays to Sundays.

Both his children attended K2 classes at Cambridge. Then following by Mathematics Tuition, English Classes, swimming, ballet, piano, squash, golf and his daughter is even in some modeling classes.

When I heard of his children curriculum, I felt so “lose out” for Anthea. So far, she is not taking any enrichment classes and for swimming, she is doing on her own leisure. I can’t help but felt a sense of guilt toward Anthea. The reason why she is not taking all these lessons is also mainly because we can’t afford all these extra $$.

I do hope that we can start her on some enrichment classes to better prepare her for Primary school. In NTUC childcare, they don’t do Spellings and Hanyu Pinying. So I think this we will need to train her little to get her gear up a notch.

There is a Chinese saying: “人比人,氣死人“! Well, I guess I just need to console myself by thinking positively – 知足常樂.

Let’s hope when she starts Primary school, she will be able to progress well.

5 comments:

Clement said...

Well, for sure Anthea is a happier child than the twins! Crammed with all those lessons and trainings and what not, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes...

Idy said...

I know how you feel, Astee. But, no enrichment classes does not mean that our kids will lose out. So, don't pressure yourself :)

Louis & Eve said...

Maybe some of these enrichment classes might be useful to kids, but I feel sad that these days, children are subjected to the rat race so early on in life to have to take on so many lessons and enrichment classes.

I feel that kids should be kids and given room to play and enjoy their childhood. Besides, all too soon, Anthea will be in P1 and then, the heat will be on. She might look back and thank you in future for cutting her some slack now :)

Aces Family said...

Hi all,

Thanks for the words of encouragement..yeah, i do hope that she is happy and will be happy as always. Be it - enrichment or not.. : P

cheers,
astee

Anonymous said...

Hi Astee,

I feel that you are giving yourself too much stress. You have done all you can for your children. And frankly speaking, I truly do pity those children with such packed schedules.

They hardly breathe. They are still children. I don't think your children will lose out jsut because they didn't attend those activities.

I believed your children are more happier and blessed to have you and adrian as their parents.

Take care.